Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Thought

Whenever a human being, particularly a human being who professes belief in God, realizes that the world is not the way it ought to be, they ought to do three things:

(1) Examine whether in this aspect the world is as it should be or not, that is, attempt to discern how this aspect of the world would be seen by the Divine.

Then, granted (1), they should

(2) Pray that this aspect of the way things are, insofar as it originates in themselves, would be cleansed and purged from their inner life.
(3) Work to change the world by their own actions--in thoughts, words, what they do and what they do not do.

I had a realization recently that there was in fact something about the world that I absolutely hated, and that I had an opportunity to help change it by doing it differently. So I did. Granted that I didn't go in quite the order I recommend, I also realized how I'd failed to pray for this change in myself as well as in the world.

I'm not going to say what it is. But if anyone has thoughts on this as an abstract ideal, let me know.

No comments: