Saturday, July 09, 2005

Late at Night I Say, Indeed it is Another Day

It's 1:22 AM as I begin this posting, and God is good. I think of the Fold Zandura songs "Forever Throw" and "King Planet" when I think of the greatness of God, because those songs evoke this image of God that isn't just great and powerful. The image evoked is cosmic. For example, lyrics from "King Planet":

You are the mystic man
You are the promised lamb
You walk the silver sand of stars you're shining
You are the atmosphere
You are the music clear
You are the golden tier and you are king planet

Anyone who's heard the song probably has a better idea of what I mean when I talk of cosmic imagery. You get the picture that God is over not just earth but, in a more literal sense, over the universe. They're an odd band, but I think they're awesome.

I am going to have lots of fun this weekend. I have to do a report on peace and reconciliation according to Thich Nhat Hahn and the Dalai Lama, and I don't know much about the subject aside from that basic thought that "peace is good, violence is bad" coming from the Lama. Thich Nhat Hahn probably holds some similar view, but I'm going to look and see if I can discern any noticeable difference between the two. Thich Nhat Hahn inspired some peice entitled "Fruit Salad Can be Delicious" which I am planning to read for this paper. I'll make sure to talk about whether or not the idea of it (which so far sounds like major pluralism) presents as badly as it has so far. I might point out that there is such a thing as tolerant exclusivism. The most well-known example might be C.S. Lewis, who believed in salvation through Christ alone, but tolerated his son's choice to go Jewish and even got advice on how to give his son a kosher diet. Just so it's clear, he was an exclusivist who still knew the meaning of tolerance.

My last note for the night is that I have been reading some lyrics of the band King's X, because I read somewhere that they were supposedly a Christian band and I'm checking out the rumor. The first album is entitled Out of the Silent Planet (also the name of a Lewis book; one that is often taken allegorically in fact) and while the subsequent albums seem to be less so, that one seems to be very spiritual and nothing seems to conflict with Christian thought, at least not in any major way. If anyone knows about this, let me know. It'd be cool to find out what, if anything, they believed of Christianity that might have influenced them, especially on that first album. I did a tiny bit of research and it sounds as though one or two of them were believers; anyone else have light to shed on this issue?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing those words to the song. pretty awesome. sounds a lot like psalms in the message bible. sheer poetry. i like your style.